March 1, 2011

updating how i describe "Tulpa, or Anne&Me"

I've revised the way I describe Tulpa, or Anne&Me. Not because it was bad, per se, but because I found a better way to do it. Strangely (or rather, not so strangely), I found my inspiration from how people pitch films.

Here's the new blurb . . .
Tulpa, or Anne&Me is a full-length play about how racism affects our relationships.

Our heroine is a nerdy, introspective, lesbian African American artist whose life gets turned upside down when Anne Hathaway crawls out of her television.

During a series of Anne's surreal visitations, we watch them become good friends, which leads them to really start looking at how race impacts their lives as women, as friends, and as human beings. With the help of two outspoken imaginary friends, she relives feelings and experiences she's kept hidden even from herself, until now. We follow her efforts to express these things to Anne so there can be real intimacy between them. At the same time, we witness Anne struggle to understand where she fits in that process in order to be a true friend and confidante to the heroine.

Throughout the play we are challenged to go beyond the rhetoric and confront race from the truth of who we are.
Am I missing something here?

4 comments:

  1. I don't wanna flounce in like a colossal bucket of arse and suggest changes without asking how you feel about that first. Pretty much all my creative energy these days goes into editing things to make other people's work more 'marketable' (and, yeah, I kinda hate myself a little bit), so I could possibly offer an alternative. It really depends on your aim with this, though.

    So, if how you feel about that is 'fuck off limey bitch', I'd totally understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention to congratulate you on the reading, by the way. Just had a quick look at the festival's website, and it sounds amazing. Wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @imm: that would depend on how you define "marketable."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it. :-) I think the first and last sentences are best, because they head off people who might go, "Oh, this play's about racism?" /Duh

    ReplyDelete