June 27, 2010

Gay marriage and intersectionality

An intriguing Q&A that shows problems that gay marriage won't necessarily solve.

Now let me get this out of the way before someone brings it up: I do not oppose gay marriage. I am, however, reluctant to assume that gay marriage would mean greater equality for all. I think that, in the US, people like to assume that marriage is about love. But when it boils down to it, marriage is really about money, property, and inheritance in the eyes of the state. I'm not knocking this. It is what it is. But there's a reason why marriage is called an institution. Traditionally, in the US, that institution has been just as sexist, racist, classist, homophobic, and transphobic as the rest of society.

Then again, I can be pretty cynical about these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment