September 27, 2008

Someone I must meet: Suzan-Lori Parks

When I was back home in Virginia for a weekend, I caught a show on HBO about Black people. I don't remember the name of it, but there were all kinds of people talking: Chris Rock, Keenan Ivory Wayans, Al Sharpton, Venus Williams, and so on. I liked how different it was from a lot of stuff. It didn't talk about Black people as it had Black people talking about themselves and their relationship to what they're doing.

Anyway, I saw the bit with Suzan-Lori Parks. Having never seen or heard her before, I had to watch. She was riveting. Completely riveting. She's someone I'd love to talk theater with because I get the sense that she'd understand what I'm getting at here. She'd get it without pretending to be colorblind or gender-blind about it. She'd get it. I wouldn't have to explain it. I wouldn't have to justify it. She'd get it. She's the one I'm writing for.

And bell hooks is on my list too.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, how are you? I am sending you this comment, because I am serching for blogger friends, and your site is interesting to me. I have an art blog here in San Diego, and I am curious if you would become my freind? Are you up to it?
    I hope to see you soon on my art blog, and take care,
    Sincerely,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete